Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) aims to help people with some of the extra costs you might incur if you have a long term ill-health or disability.

PIP will replace DLA for 16-64 year olds. The amount of PIP you receive will depend on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

Where do I get the claim form?

Most people who apply for PIP need to do so by calling the Department for Work and Pension (DWP). When you make this call, you will express your interest in making a claim. During this call, you will be asked to provide: 

  • your contact details, for example telephone number

  • your date of birth

  • your National Insurance number - this is on letters about tax, pensions and benefits

  • your bank or building society account number and sort code

  • your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number

  • dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital


You can ask for a paper form to complete if you are unable to claim by phone, although this may delay your claim.


After your call with the DWP, you will be issue a ''How your disability affects you'' (PIP2)  form to complete.

How do we help?

The Disability Representation Unit can help you complete this form.

We will give you suggested examples of answers people might give in connection to your circumstance before you write them down or we can write the answers for you in separate document to be sent to you via email or we can send you a text message with this information. 

Mandatory Reconsideration

If you disagree with the decision about your claim you can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR).

You can challenge the following decisions:

  • you didn’t get it

  • you got a lower rate than you expected

  • you think your award isn’t long enough

We can help you to ask for mandatory reconsideration in writing  explaining why you disagree with the decision. You will have a chance to review the document before we send it by post to the address provided in your decision letter.